Wednesday, November 12, 2008

one for the road: amoy street food centre

cecilia and i today went down memory lane this morning as we rode my trusty vespa from sembawang to amoy street for breakfast. just like old times, we set off before 7am, brave our `favourite' expressway, cte and ended up in amoy street food centre for breakfast in good time.

amoy street food centre is a significant place for us because we ate breakfast there before and after we got married; and before and after we got kids. must be more than a dozen years.....

as i am a creature of habit, i only frequent 2 stalls there in all my years of eating breakfast at amoy; xiang chang coffee shop(#01-51)for my kopi-o kosong and tian tian cooked food(#01-52) for my fried beehoon. i particularly like the entrepreneurial spirit of the fiesty old lady at tian tian. not only does she cooked a mean and delicious plate of fried bee hoon, she has good memories too. i reckon she must be at least 80 or approaching 80. when i met her today, nothing change. she continues to deftly handle the wok like when i first saw her years back; the same vigour and energy. and when she saw me, the first thing she said was, " oh, you have not come to my stall for a long time already". i felt almost embarrass that she (still) remembers me. of course, i have good reasons of not going there anymore, my workplace is no longer in town and my wife stops working. however today, i can only manage a sheepish smile and acknowledge her good memory.

here's the best part. that plate of beehoon with an egg and a piece of tau-kwa (fried beancurd) still costs me s$1.40, the same when i first buy the beehoon years back. only the coffee price went up 10cents to 60 cents.

so, a full breakfast in town that costs s$2.00, but a priceless trip for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment