Sunday, July 12, 2009

victoria celebrates mini's 50th birthday





the mini turned 50 this year. while the main gig took place in silverstone, england a couple of months ago; victoria took turn to honor the mini celebration with a 2 day exhibition in melbourne showgrounds to bring like-minded people together this weekend for some serious indulgence and celebration. this event was organized by the victorian mini club (inc).
this event makes a great family outing. there is the usual `best dress' competition where visitors will vote for the best mini on display; there are also many other activities like mini rc race, mini souvenirs for collectors, mini techies to exchange notes about carburettors and radiators and so on.
i was there with paisley.

minis of all variation and configuration are there to be admired. from the powerful to the quirky, it's amazing how the first mini that rolled out in 1959 has evolved into such a following that is almost unimagineable today. i marveled at the length to which the mini owners take to customize their mini. to me, each mini has its own story to tell.
my first car was a mini. it is a '77 mini 1000 special. i bought it in 1992 and had for 2.5 years before i traded it for something else. i enjoyed it immensely and even took it to malacca once. i also remember getting stopped by traffic police in singapore more than once who (then) asked me to open up the bonnet to check if i `mod' my ride. my then-manager at work, irene kee, christened my mini `mary jane' after i gave her a ride back to the office after a customer visit. the mini unfortunately is not a practical daily car in singapore. i sold it with a heavy heart but it has always a place in my heart.
i next encountered the (new) mini when i went to new zealand for work for a few days. the company had a high end mini cooper s to move around town. as it is a `looker', it turned heads and therefore created a lot of awareness for the company. i was smitten by it and when i went to auckland for a week's holiday with my wife and shimun the next year, i was able to borrow it. i travelled around north island with the mini and returned the car with 3 speeding tickets after.
settling here in melbourne allow me to rekindle my love affair with the mini. as cars are generally more affordable here, i am lucky enough to be able to consider the mini (again) for my ride. i got hold of the `06 r53 cooper s in feb 09 after tossing between that and the latest r56.
we enjoyed the show throughly. especially for me, it is like a kid in a candy store. paisley & i spoke briefly about passing on mary jane II to her and her brother years from now. as a beetle fan, she's not too excited at the prospect. however, i think i got time on my side.
(clockwise from left) me with mary jane; my short love affair in nz and now with mary jane II










'

No comments:

Post a Comment